Friday, March 13, 2009

It's about time


So, Sonya and I have been a little late getting in on the recycling thing. I've realized I'm all about recycling and saving the environment, but being about something and actually doing it are two very different things. I know that is profound. If recycling is easily available I'll definitely take advantage, but if I've always said I'm not going way out of my way to recycle. If my neighborhood doesn't offer recycling I'm not going to haul my recycling across town to a facility, and other lame excuses. Well finally I got on the ball and got our recycling bins that we need for recycling that is now offered by our HOA. In the past our family puts out about 3 trash cans full of trash every week. Since we've started our recycling efforts that has gone down to about 1/2 to 1 can of trash each week. Now it is almost like a challenge, even our kids are excited about it. We try to see how much we can recycle and how little we can throw away. It's been really good for us and I know we're really late to the game, but I want to encourage everyone else making excuses why not to recycle to give it a try. Every little bit helps when it comes to saving our environment.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! When I was in middle school I started a curbside recycling "business"/service for every house on my street and got a write-up in the paper. One of my most notable accomplishments to date : ) That's so cool that the kids are in on it, too.

    ReplyDelete